I understand there are very many plugins available for WordPress that help keep track of a variety of stats. This one, wp-visitors, is simple and light-weight. Myself and couple friends (Adam & Karen and Tim Obermann) have been using it without any trouble – in some form or the other – for over a year now. I am sure this plugin will see further updates – a few bells and whistles (geographical resolution of IP address), etc. As with all WordPress hosted plugins, this too is released under GPL. So, if you like it and like to make it better, please be my guest
Where To Get It?
The plugin, compatible with and tested up to 2.6.5, will be hosted on WordPress.org and can be downloaded from the plugins page.
- Unzip wp-visitors.zip
- This should result in a folder called wp-visitors
/wp-content/pluginsfolder in your blog
- Activate it
- If all goes well, plugin should start recording the hits/page-loads
- See the visitor details in Dashboard » Visitor Details
- I don’t like the way visitor details are displayed. Can I change it to meet my fantasies?
Yes. If you know basic HTML and some PHP, you should be able to change it.
- What does the IP address link to in visitor details?
It links to the ARIN WHOIS database and provides some more information that you my (not) find useful.
- #2 sounds fine. But I am a click-conservationalist. I want more information by default!
Geographical resolution of IP address will be included in a subsequent update.
- It only says #### hits so far and following are recorded today. What if I want to check my visitors from some other day?
Very valid question. Like #3, this feature will also be added in a subsequent update.
2008.12.24 – version 1.1
(Approximate) Geographical resolution of IP address added.
2009.02.11 – version 1.2
Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/wordcurrents/wp-content/plugins/wp-visitors/wp-visitors.php:12) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/wordcurrents/wp-login.php on line 255